Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program
Our VITA program has ended for this tax season. We will no longer be accepting any new returns this year. If you still need to file your taxes, please visit www.myfreetaxes.com to file them online for free.
Who qualifies for services:
- Individuals whose annual household income was less than $58,000 in 2020
- Individuals who are NOT filing Married Filing Separate returns
- Individuals who are NOT filing a Schedule SE (Form 1099) with reported business loss, deducting a home office, keeping an inventory for their business, paying employees, and/or have more than $25,000 in total business expenses
What to bring to your appointment:
Proof of identification (photo ID) for taxpayer (and spouse if married filing joint return). Both spouses must be present at pick-up.
Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or ITIN cards and birth dates for taxpayer, spouse and all dependents listed on the return
Copy of all income statements: W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, and 1099-MISC, Social Security Benefits Statement and/or other sources of income
Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
A copy of last year’s federal return (if you filed). Important if you received or qualify for Earned Income Credit.
Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit or direct debit, such as a voided check
To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms (REQUIRED)
Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
Documentation of higher education costs on Tuition Statement Form (Forms 1098-T) and receipts for educational materials (books, equipment, room and board, etc.)
Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements
Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
Don't forget...Through United Way's partnership with H & R Block, every household with a simple return can file their federal taxes for free by visiting https://www.myfreetaxes.com/
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program is a cornerstone program of United Way that can be instrumental in helping individuals and families in their journey to financial stability.
- This free tax preparation service is available to low-to-moderate income wage earners earning $58,000 or less. Clients often include minimum-wage earners, those who may be homeless, self-employed, and the elderly or people with disabilities.
- IRS-certified volunteers provide basic return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.
- VITA provides a safe alternative to high-fee tax preparation services and predatory lenders offering expensive refund anticipation loans. VITA sites help many working families access valuable tax credits, such as Earned Income Tax Credits and Child Tax Credits.