Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program
VITA services are available by appointment only.
Appointment scheduling will begin in February.
If you have access to a printer, it is encouraged for you to print the VITA intake form, fill it out in advance, and bring it to your appointment.
Don't forget...Through United Way's partnership with H & R Block, every household with a simple return can file their federal taxes for free by visiting https://www.myfreetaxes.com/
Who qualifies for services:
- Individuals whose annual household income was less than $58,000
- Individuals who are NOT filing Married Filing Separate returns
- Individuals who are NOT filing a Schedule SE (Form 1099) with reported business loss, deducting a home office, keeping an inventory for their business, paying employees, and/or have more than $25,000 in total business expenses
To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
What to bring to your appointment (required documents):
- Proof of identification (photo ID) for taxpayer (and spouse if married filing joint return). Both spouses must be present at pick-up.
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or ITIN cards and birth dates for taxpayer, spouse and all dependents listed on the return
- Copy of all income statements: W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, and 1099-MISC, Social Security Benefits Statement and/or other sources of income
- A copy of last year’s federal return (if you filed). Important if you received or qualify for Earned Income Credit.
- You must know the exact amount of any stimulus payments (Letter 6475) and child tax credits (Letter 6419) that you received.
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099) *
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit or direct debit, such as a voided check *
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number *
- Documentation of higher education costs on Tuition Statement Form (Forms 1098-T) and receipts for educational materials (books, equipment, room and board, etc.) *
- Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements, if applicable*
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state *
*Required if applicable
Disclaimer: Our volunteers withhold the right to refuse preparation services if the above requirements are not met or if any required documents are not provided at the time of your appointment.