Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program
As part of its commitment to addressing key community issues, United Way Galveston County Mainland is developing strategies to positively impact the financial stability of our citizens. Our goal is to help working individuals and families’ achieve financial independence by providing opportunities and education to build, save, and protect their financial assets. The VITA Tax-Aid program serves as the focal point for this effort, and is the first step of the Financial Stability Partnership outlined by United Way of America.
The VITA program offers free tax help to low-to moderate-income (less than $58,000) families who cannot prepare their own tax returns and individuals who are elderly, disabled, or speak limited English. Certified volunteers sponsored by various organizations receive training to help prepare basic tax returns in communities across the country. Most sites offer free electronic filing (e-filing). Individuals taking advantage of the e-file program will receive their refunds in half the time compared to returns filed on paper.
Many in our community don’t have access to affordable tax preparation services or are unaware of programs like Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) that could put thousands of dollars back in their hands and into our local economy. VITA helps taxpayers obtain eligible tax credits and deductions. In 2019, VITA volunteers prepared 207 tax returns, brought back to families $92,331 in EIC funds and $298,734 in overall federal refunds plus saved families over $144,990 in tax preparation fees. By increasing income to working families the VITA program directly effects the family’s or individual’s ability to become or remain financially stable.
Items to bring to have your tax return prepared
- Proof of identification
- Social security cards for you, your spouse and dependants
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependants on the tax return
- Current year’s tax package
- Wage and earnings statement(s) Form W-2,W-2G,1099R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from bank(s)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax EIN #
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
How to make an appointment
Call (409)-948-4211 on or after February 17th
Where to go for your appointment
United Way Galveston County Mainland
2800 Texas Avenue
Texas City, TX 77591
Call (409) 948-4211 to make an appointment