Woman doing taxes for VITA client

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program


Champion Sponsors

Frost Bank Logo


The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program is a cornerstone program of United Way that can be instrumental in helping individuals and families in their journey to financial stability. 

This free tax preparation service is available to low-to-moderate income wage earners earning $60,000 or less. Clients often include minimum-wage earners, those who may be homeless, self-employed, and the elderly or people with disabilities. 

IRS-certified volunteers provide basic return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals. 

VITA provides a safe alternative to high-free tax preparation services and predatory lenders offering expensive refund anticipation loans. VITA sites help many working families access valuable tax credits, such as Earned Income Tax Credits and Child Tax Credits.


VITA Schedule:

VITA Services Availability:

  • Start Date: February 5th
  • Initial Week: Only accepting drop-offs due to special events.

Drop-off Schedule:

  • Monday to Thursday
  • Time: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

*If possible, fill out the VITA Intake Form in advance. Bring the completed form when dropping off documents.

Appointment Schedule:

  • Every Tuesday between the hours of 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
  • Every Friday between the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
  • Appointment Duration: 30 minutes

Appointment Booking:

  • First VITA appointment block starts on Tuesday, February 13th.
  • Final VITA appointment block ends on Friday, April 5th.

Call 409-948-4211 starting February 1st to schedule an appointment.



General Information and FAQ

VITA services will be available starting on February 5th. During the first week, we will only be accepting drop-offs due to special events. Clients can drop off their documents and complete intake from Monday to Thursday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. If you have access to a printer, please fill out the VITA Intake Form in advance and bring it with you when you drop off your documents.


Every Tuesday from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. and every Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. are reserved for appointments. Each appointment will be 30 minutes long. The first VITA appointment block will commence on Tuesday, February 13th, and the final one will be on Friday, April 5th. Please call 409-948-4211 starting February 1st to schedule an appointment.

We encourage drop-offs as the preferred method to ensure everyone gets timely assistance. Appointments should be reserved for clients with complex returns or with lots of questions.

Unfortunately, we don't have staff members who speak languages other than English. For our non-English-speaking clients, we recommend checking with Coast Community Federal Credit Union for assistance.

  • VITA prepares only Form 1040, Individual tax returns. No partnership or corporate returns prepared.

  • Individuals whose annual household income was less than $60,000

  • Individuals who are NOT filing Married Filing Separate returns

  • Individuals who are NOT filing a Schedule SE (Form 1099) with reported business loss, deducting a home office, keeping an inventory for their business, paying employees, and/or have more than $25,000 in total business expenses

To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms

  • Proof of identification (driver's license, state photo ID or other government issued identification that includes a photo) for the taxpayer (and spouse if married filing joint return). 

    • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.

  • Social Security cards for you, your spouse, and dependents and/or ITIN cards and birth dates for the taxpayer, spouse, and all dependents listed on the return

  • Copy of all income statements: W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, and 1099-MISC, Social Security Benefits Statement, and/or other sources of income

  • A copy of last year’s federal return (if you filed). Important if you received or qualify for Earned Income Credit.

  • You must know the exact amount of any stimulus payments (Letter 6475) and child tax credits (Letter 6419) that you received.

  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099) *

  • Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit or direct debit, such as a voided check *

  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number *

  • Documentation of higher education costs on Tuition Statement Form (Forms 1098-T) and receipts for educational materials (books, equipment, room, and board, etc.) *

  • Forms 1095-A, B, and C, Health Coverage Statements, if applicable*

  • Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state *

*Required if applicable

Disclaimer: Our volunteers withhold the right to refuse preparation services if the above requirements are not met or if any required documents are not provided at the time of your appointment.